Sunday 12 October 2014

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's not just for kids you know!

One of my favourite books in the whole wide world is Road Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! I've read it more than 100 times (when I was quite young I used to get to the end of the book and then start it all over again) and it still never fails to make me laugh out loud.

It was one of the first books I packed when I moved to university. Whenever I feel like I'm having a bad day I just re-read and it cheers me up immensely. I've even started to recommend it to some of my closest friends (I've actually been forcing them to read it, but you know, potato, poh-tato). And I suggest that if you haven't read it yet, you should definitely get your hands on a copy and read it soon! You won't regret it, trust me :)

I'm such a big fan it's unreal. I've seen both movies multiple times (I grew up with the Gene Wilder version but the Johnny Depp one is a closer adaptation of the book, so I still haven't decided which one I like better.) I've even been to see it on stage at the theater. I also quote from the book during conversations with friends. You'd be surprised about the number of conversations we have about chocolate...

I think that I keep going back to it because I love the characters so much. Charlie's the best! He's pure of heart and innocent, and his home life is so crappy that you can't help but feel ecstatic when he finds that golden ticket. The other children are hilarious. Augustus, Violet, Veruca and Mike are all completely beastly and totally horrid and so it's extremely funny when they all meet a sticky end. The Oompa Loompa songs help too. Each one is absolute genius! I have a habit of reading the songs aloud to myself (this gets a bit awkward when I'm in a public place), which adds to the whole reading experience if you ask me. 

I also feel that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory also has the potential to teach children a lot, and maybe this is why it appealed to me when I was a kid. There is a clear divide between good and evil in the book. Charlie is good. He suffers in the beginning but because he is a good child, he is rewarded in the end. The other children are bad. They are bad all the way through and are punished by Willy Wonka. And after their punishments, you get a sense of forgiveness and that they have repented their bad behaviour. There is also the issue of poverty. This is explored in the book through Charlie's character, because he is so dismally poor, and also the other children. But in particular, Veruca, because she is so ridiculously rich. Yet Charlie triumphs, even though he is so poor, because being a kind and honest child is the most important thing of all! And so, not only is the book absurd and extremely funny (cows that give chocolate milk! edible pillows! square sweets that look round! a chewing gum meal!), but it also has some pretty important take home messages as well. Also, I recently found out that the book has it's own Sparknotes entry and it made me so happy! If you want to find out some more about the intricacies of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory then look it up :)

Here's one of my favourite quotes from the book:

"So please, oh please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away.
And in it's place you can install,
A lovely bookshelf on the wall."

It's from Mike Teevee's Oompa Loompa song. This is my favourite song in the book because it highlights the importance of reading, and encourages people to read in a very humorous way. 

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the only book that I've read over and over again, and I will continue to read it forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment