Saturday 9 May 2015

Desperately Seeking Sherlock

I've mentioned in a previous post that I am big fan of detective novels, and you can't get more 'detective-y' than Sherlock Holmes!
I have read a lot of Sherlock Holmes stories in the past and I grew up watching Jeremy Brett's rendition of the great sleuth on TV with my mum (he is definitely one of the best Sherlock actors ever, go check him out). I've even been to the Sherlock Homes museum at 221 Baker Street (yes, it really exists!).

Recently, though, I've had the Sherlock bug. I started watching the American adaptation, "Elementary", with my friend because we were getting impatient waiting for the new season of the British adaptation, "Sherlock". And if you're wondering, the British version is a million times better, but the American version is watchable and it fills a void I guess.

Anyway, watching "Elementary" made me want to read some of the books again. So, in the space of a day, I read A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four. Both books are rather short (just over 100 pages each) and they are incredibly fast paced, so I couldn't put them down.

I love the characterisation of both Watson and Sherlock because they are incredibly unique characters, yet they compliment each other really well. I also think that Arthur Conan Doyle does a great job of creating a mystery by providing readers with little clues here and there. Due to the complicated nature of these mysteries, it's so easy to be swept up in Sherlock's brilliance and we can't help but gape in awe as he uses his power of deduction to solve the case.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books. They should tide me over before the next season of "Sherlock" is aired...hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment