Friday 10 April 2015

Books, books, books

Libraries have always been important to me. They were my favourite place to be when I was growing up. The rows and rows of books, the wonderful silence, the comfy reading chairs; my home away from home. Having a library card was always a necessity and I never left home without it. I know it may sound cheesy but I always feel safe and comforted in a library, regardless of where it was and if I'd been there before. 

When I was searching for universities in the UK, one of the most important factors for me was the university library. During the campus tours I always made sure that I visited the library to see how big it was, what sort of books they had, and how comfortable the chairs looked. I think it's pretty ironic then that the university I finally chose (Amsterdam University College) doesn't have a library of its own. But I soon learned that borrowing books from my friends was the next best thing! Not only is it free, but you can also always discuss the book with your friend afterwards. That has to be one of the best things about borrowing books from people you know. 

When I moved to the Netherlands, almost three years ago, one of the first things I did was visit my local library to try and get a library card. I soon realised, however, that library cards aren't free here and so I didn't get one...But yesterday, that all changed. I finally got my hands on a library card. For some reason the Dutch government offered me a free library subscription for a year, and of course I wasn't going to pass that up! Getting my card and looking though the books in the English section reminded me of how much I had missed being in that kind of environment. Being able to go to a library and peruse the shelves at leisure, without having to read a book in one go or in installments because I can't borrow them, has to be one of the best feelings ever! I can't wait to get a lot of use out of my new library card this year, because as everyone knows: having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card!

No comments:

Post a Comment